Judith D. Cassel
Judith Cassel focuses her practice on administrative and commercial law. She represents companies before governmental agencies and as such assists companies with their licensing, compliance, and litigation needs. In addition, Judith has spent over 20 years in the energy industry. Judith began her energy career as an executive for Mobil Oil Corporation and later as Vice President of two regional petroleum and natural gas companies. She has negotiated mergers and acquisitions, reorganized operations and refinanced companies.
Beyond managing energy companies, Judith has represented clients, including manufacturers, utilities, bio diesel producers, gasoline and fuel oil distributors, solar installations and electric generation suppliers, in matters before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania (U.S. District Court), Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (Pa. PUC), the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (Pa. DEP), the Common Pleas Courts of Pennsylvania, Pa Insurance Department’s Underground Storage Tank Indemnification Fund (USTIF) and both the Pennsylvania and Maryland taxing authorities.
Judith provides advice and representation in a range of matters, including: applications, licensing, regulatory compliance, commercial collections, entity formation, refinancing, contract negotiations and drafting, sales and leasing transactions, grant funding, and litigation. She also represents generation suppliers before the Pa. PUC in matters such as licensing, purchase of receivables, and default service proceedings. Judith has also represented various entities within the natural gas mid-stream pipeline industry.
In addition, Judith represents energy and construction companies before the Bureau of Minority and Women Business Opportunities (BMWBO), as well as the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development.
- Represents commercial clients in purchase and sale transactions
- Represents Energy Suppliers before FERC
- Represents State Attorney Generals before FERC
- Represents commercial clients before the U.S. Department of Labor
- Represents Solar Installation facilities in front of the Pa. DEP and Pa. PUC
- Represents Petroleum Distributors in front of USTIF
- Represents electric utility and electric generation suppliers before the Pa. PUC
- Represents commercial clients before the U.S. District Courts
- Negotiates, drafts, implements, and defends contracts, leases, and asset purchase agreements
- Represents companies before Pa. DEP and the Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas
- Represents companies before Pennsylvania and Maryland taxing authorities
- Represents Propane, petroleum, and distillate Distributors in Pennsylvania and New Jersey
- Represents commercial clients before the New Jersey Attorney General
- Represents commercial clients in Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Leases
- National Energy Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Lancaster Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Petroleum Association
- Oil and Pipelines Committee
- Women's Council on Energy and the Environment (WCEE)
- Nurse Family Partnership Advisory Board, a Division of University of Pennsylvania’s Lancaster General Hospital
- Council Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association Public Utility Law Section
- Law & Government Institute Advisory Board, Widener University Commonwealth Law School
- Instructor for CME on legal issues
Honors & Distinctions
- Central Penn Business Journal's Top 40 Under 40
- Pegasus Elite Mobil Oil Corp.
- Honors in Negotiations and Russian Business Law
- NCAA Division I All-American and five-time record holder Track and Field Penn State
Publications and Presentations
- Presented "Regulatory Impacts on Midstream Operations in Pennsylvania" at 2nd Annual U.S. Midstream Oil and Gas Law Conference in Houston, Texas. November 22nd, 2013.
- Oil Express Article - July 2013
- Pennsylvania creates ideal market for investors, MARIJUANAVENTURE, October 2016, at 144.
- Presented “Opioid Epidemic Law and Policy” at Widener Law and Government Institute, March 29, 2017.