Bryce R. Beard
Bryce joined HMS as an Associate in August 2018. Bryce focuses his practice on administrative litigation predominately before the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission representing utilities including pipeline, electric and natural gas distribution, electric and natural gas suppliers, water and wastewater, and transportation.
Since beginning his career at HMS, Bryce has achieved favourable outcomes in multi-party complaint proceedings, has had significant rate increases approved for clients through both litigated and settled rate case proceedings, has successfully defended transportation applications against protests, has assisted with merger and acquisition proceedings, and has gained extensive working knowledge of all facets of administrative practice before the PUC.
Bryce also practices in the areas of appellate litigation and environmental law and is an integral part of HMS’s litigation practice.
Prior to joining HMS, Bryce interned with the Pennsylvania Office of General Counsel where he was a certified legal intern with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, Southcentral Regional Office and a legal intern with Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Regulatory Counsel.
Bryce is currently a Council member for the Public Utility Law Section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, and actively advances the Law Section’s goals, programs, and membership.
- Energy Transfer Partners and Sunoco Pipeline L.P. - Present PA counsel in PA PUC matters involving service, facilities extension and construction litigation and regulatory compliance matters. (2019-present)
- Pike County Light & Power Company - Present counsel in PA PIC matters including rate case proceedings for both electric and gas distribution service, complaint proceedings, and merger and acquisition proceedings. (2019-present)
- Columbia Water Company - Present counsel in PA PUC matters including rates, securities, and merger and acquisitions. (2019-present)
- The Pennsylvania State University - Present counsel in various rate case proceedings, default service proceedings that impact the University system. (2019-present)
- Leatherstocking Gas Company LLC - Present counsel before PA PUC. (2019-present)
- Community Utilities of Pennsylvania, Inc. - Present counsel for rate case proceedings for both water and wastewater service. (2019-present)
- Audubon Water Company - Present counsel in PA PUC matters including rate case proceedings and regulatory matters. (2019-present)
- Natural Gas and Electric Supplier matters – Present counsel to various NGS and EGS groups challenging discriminatory conduct from utilities and protecting NGS and EGS market access and availability of various distribution systems. (2018-present)
- Transportation Utilities
- Integrated Medical Transport LLC – prepared paratransit applications and defended against protests to achieve state-wide paratransit operating authority and certification
- Holland Homecare LLC – defended against protests and achieved paratransit operating authority
- Pramukh Transportation Services LLC – prepared paratransit application and defended against protest for expansion of service territory
- BGP LLC – defended against protest, pending Administrative Law Judge disposition
- All Blue Taxi Service LLC – defended against protest and achieved additional territory for taxi service operations
- Canyon County Cabs LLC – defended PA PUC Bureau of Investigation and Enforcement Complaint
- Attridge Bus Corporation – achieved PUC approval for acquisition and stock transfer of an existing operating utility
- 1st Step Movers – achieved PUC approval of application to transport household goods in use
- Bowman Inn of Court (2017-2020)
- Associate Group Leader (2019-2020)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Public Utility Law Section – Council Member (2020-present)
- Environmental and Energy Law Section
- Dauphin County Bar Association
Honors and Distinctions
- Council Member – Public Utility Law Section for the Pennsylvania Bar Association
- The Order of Barristers
- Dickinson Law 2018 National Trial Team
- Dickinson Law Moot Court Board
- Certified Legal Intern, PA DEP Southcentral Region, 2017-2018
- Represented DEP in Commonwealth Court, DEP v. Hershey Conewago Recreaground, LLC (2018).
- Legal Intern, PA DEP Regulatory Counsel, 2016-2017
- Legal Intern, USDA General Counsel, 2016
- Scientific and Technical Intern, PA DEP, 2015
- J.D. The Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law, 2018
- B.S. Interdisciplinary Science, Florida Institute of Technology, 2015
- B.S. Environmental Science, cum laude, Florida Institute of Technology, 2014