Melissa A. Chapaska
Melissa joined Hawke McKeon & Sniscak LLP as an Associate in February 2015. Melissa represents clients in regulatory matters, including litigation, and appeals before state and federal courts and administrative agencies, and in various energy sectors including petroleum, natural gas, and electricity.
Prior to working at HMS, Melissa participated with the Harrisburg Civil Law Clinic as a Certified Legal Intern and Clinic Leader. Melissa also interned with the United States Department of Justice, Executive Office for Immigration Review and the Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry where she was involved with researching and analyzing complex administrative and regulatory legal issues.
- Represents clients before Pennsylvania and New Jersey state courts and agencies and Federal District courts
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Dauphin County Bar Association
- Treasurer, Government Law Section
- University of Pittsburgh Alumni Association
- James S. Bowman American Inn of Court
Disclaimers and Informed Consent in the Medical Marijuana Industry, THE LEGAL INTELLIGENCER, June 7, 2018.
Medical Marijuana as One Solution to the Opioid Epidemic in Pennsylvania,THE PENNSYLVANIA LAWYER, Jan/Feb 2018.
Congressional spending and what it means for marijuana, MARIJUANA VENTURE, November 2016, 210-214.
Pennsylvania creates ideal market for investors, MARIJUANA VENTURE, October 2016, at 144.
- The Immigration Gamble: Eliminating the Diversity Visa Program, 5 WIDENER J.L., ECON. & RACE 67 (2014).
- Monroe County Bench Bar Conference, "Medical Marijuana in Pennsylvania - Review of the First Two Years" (Sept. 27, 2019)
Dauphin County Bar Association, “Separating the Weed from the Chaff” (Oct. 30, 2018)
Widener University Delaware Law School, “FDLA Medical Marijuana Dine & Learn” (Oct. 25, 2018)
Pennsylvania Bar Institute, “The PA Medical Marijuana Industry: Year in Review” (Aug. 17, 2018)
Cannabis Expertise, Pennsylvania 4-Hour Certification Course (2017-2018).
Medical Cannabis Educational Summit, “Energy Issues in the Growing Medical Marijuana Industry” (March 5, 2018).
Energypath 2017, "Marijuana Grower Energy Use: Looming Issues in Pennsylvania" (July 27, 2017).
Lancaster Bar Association, "Planting the Seed: Legalities & Realities of Medical Marijuana in Pennsylvania" (June 13, 2017).
- Cannabis Expertise, Pennsylvania Medical Cannabis Certification Course (2017).
- Legal Intern, Governor’s Office of General Counsel Summer Externship Program, PA Department of Labor & Industry, Labor Law Compliance, 2013
- Legal Intern, United States Department of Justice, Executive Office for Immigration Review, 2013
Honors and Distinctions
- Administrative/Constitutional Law Certificate with Honors, 2014
- Outstanding Law & Government Student Award, 2014
- Public Interest Initiative, Pro Bono Distinction, 2014