Phillip D. Demanchick Jr.
Phil joined HMS as an Associate in August 2021.
Prior to joining HMS, Phil gained extensive experience with the Pennsylvania Office of Consumer Advocate (“PA OCA”) as an Assistant Consumer Advocate. In this role, Phil participated in a variety of matters both on the state and federal level. This included representing the PA OCA in, among other things, state appeals, complex base rate case litigation, transmission line siting litigation, and comment and rulemaking proceedings before the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission. Phil also represented the PA OCA in matters before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (“FERC”).
Here at HMS, Phil’s practice is focused on administrative litigation before the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, with particular focus on the pipeline safety, electric, and municipal and private water sectors. Phil is an integral part of HMS’s litigation and appellate practice and works closely with other accomplished and well-established HMS attorneys.
- Assistant Consumer Advocate, Pennsylvania Office of Consumer Advocate, 2017-2021
- Counsel for the PA OCA in Commonwealth Court, Evans v. Pa. Pub. Util. Comm’n, et al., 421 C.D. 2020, et al.
- Counsel for the PA OCA in the Application of Transource Pennsylvania, LLC, et al., Docket Nos. A-2017-2640195, et al.
- Counsel for the PA OCA in Pa. Pub. Util. Comm’n v. UGI Utilities, Inc. – Gas Division, Docket No. R-2019-3015162.
- Counsel for the PA OCA in Petition of PPL Electric Utilities Corporation for Approval of Tariff Modifications and Waivers of Regulations Necessary to Implement its Distributed Energy Resources Management Plan, Docket No. P-2019-3010128.
- Counsel for the PA OCA in Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, Docket No. M-2018-2641242.
- Judicial Extern, the Honourable John A. Gibney Jr., 2016
- Legal Intern, Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, 2016
- Law Clerk, United States Attorney’s Office, 2015
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association
- The Institute of Public Utilities’ 60th Annual Regulatory Studies Program, August 2018
- 47th Eastern NARUC Utility Rate School, October 2019