The telecommunications industry continues to evolve as new services and methods of communication are developed. As required by the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and Chapter 30 of the Pennsylvania Public Utility Code, incumbent telephone companies are now providing a variety of broadband services to customers and competitive providers of local and long distance telephone services are available in all areas of the Commonwealth. HMS aided incumbent telephone companies in transitioning into the new regulatory environment and our attorneys have participated in proceedings during this transition for clients of all sizes.
HMS has built a solid reputation in the telecommunications industry by keeping abreast of developing technology, understanding how that technology will affect the provision of telecommunications services, and assisting our clients in addressing the evolving regulatory landscape as part of their overall business strategy.
We have represented our clients in proceedings involving numerous issues, including:
- Industry restructuring and competition
- Implementation of the Telecommunications Act of 1996
- Chapter 30 alternative rate regulation
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Service and billing matters
- Financing and Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission securities registration
- Voice over Internet protocol
- Virtual NXX